Friday, May 09, 2008

Engine oil analysis

Just got back my engine oil report. I wasn't looking forward to it because I was afraid of the results based on what might be the case with this whole veggie conversion thing - switching over too early, forgetting to purge, etc.


I don't know too much about the history of the car other than the previous owner told me he used synthetic oil. Ever since I bought the car I have been taking it to a local quick lube place to have the oil changed (every 3000 miles or so - in 2 years I have only put on approx 12k) Although they use Mobil One synthetic I am not sure which one they use I took a guess that it was Mobil One for Diesel Trucks, I will find out.
Update: I stop by my oil place and they use Mobil One Delvac for synthetic diesel applications

Looks as though it is good news as there looks to be no problems. Importantly the aluminum, and iron metals look normal. High metal numbers indicate oil / engine problems. The calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, & zinc are additives and vary from manufacturer to manufactuerer:

From Black Stone Lab's FAQ:

Why are my molybdenum, boron, calcium, phosphorus, and zinc levels different from universal averages?

    We do not separate out the various oil brands and grades when we calculate universal averages, so in effect, the universal averages are a mix of all different types of oil out there. Therefore, the additives that are present in your sample will not match those in the universal averages column. Click here to see what all the elements mean and where they come from.

So Far, So Good

They have the mileage numbers mixed up and I will correct on next sample. Conversion was done @ 126k with a total of 137.5 K. Approx 11.5k since conversion.

No comments:

Post a Comment